Wednesday, December 19, 2007

We Interrupt This Hiatus to Bring You an Important Message

I’m breaking my self-imposed month of slackdom to, first of all, let you know that I’m on a self-imposed month of slackdom and to comment on a couple of stories making the news. Oh, and because I’m feeling snarky today.

The Pot Calling the Kettle Black

Starring Pete Rose as the pot:

NEW YORK -- Pete Rose thinks players who use steroids and other performance-enhancing drugs are "making a mockery" of baseball.

The career hits leader, banned by the sport for gambling, weighed in on the Mitchell report in an interview with Dennis Miller that was slated to air Wednesday night on VERSUS.
Uh huh. Kind of like betting on baseball games in which you were managing one of the teams. Don’t worry Pete, the juicers will get their due, if not now in the court of public opinion, then when it comes time for Hall of Fame selections. Ask Shoeless Joe Jackson how that’s working out. It could be that we may never see elected to the Hall of Fame: 1) the player with the third highest career batting average (Jackson), 2) the player with the most hits in a lifetime and 3) the player with the most career home runs. That’s because the Hall of Fame has certain standards. Unlike show business…

As if One Train Wreck Wasn’t Enough.

Britney Spears’s sixteen-year-old sister, Jamie Lynn, is “shocked” to find herself pregnant:

The star of the TV comedy series Zoey 101 told the magazine she was pregnant to her longtime boyfriend Casey Aldridge. "It was a shock for both of us, so unexpected,'' she said. "I was in complete and total shock and so was he.''
Sounds like Miss Spears, whose TV show will be added to the list of those my daughter won’t be allowed to watch, should probably have someone explain to her the birds and the bees. It probably shouldn’t be her mom, who thinks she’s only fertile outside of curfew:

Lynne Spears, already grandmother to Britney's young sons, said: "I didn't believe it because Jamie Lynn's always been so conscientious. She's never late for her curfew. I was in shock. I mean, this is my 16-year-old baby.''
No word on how this will affect Lynne Spears’s contract with book publisher Thomas Nelson to write a Christian parenting book. Doubtless she will emphasize what not to do in bringing up girls.

UPDATE: Thomas Nelson, realizing she’s not an expert in the topic she has chosen to write about, has wisely put the publication of Lynne Spears’s book on hold. Smart move.

--------------------------

Part of the reason I’m taking this time off, aside from being really busy with other things, is to think about where I want to go with this blog, if anywhere at all. As part of the re-tooling, I’m considering adding more sarcasm. It comes easy to me and I’m really good at it. What do you think?

6 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

I say you can never have too much sarcasm!

And the thought of ANY of the Spears clan being pregnant(for the first time, or again) makes me ill. Physically ill.

11:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ray
I'm new to the site and enjoyed my first visit. Sarcasm and wit are always welcome, particularly if well-disguised. I adopted in May 2004 as well (Nanning) and produced a documentary (you're welcome to a free DVD copy is you wish) then wrote a companion memoir (yet unpublished). Hope to visit your blog again and possibly advertise book/movie, etc.

4:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

P.S. Ray you can contact me directly at effeff15@aol.com. Good luck with the sarcasm, blog, and beautiful daughter.

4:41 PM  
Blogger Ray said...

Hope to visit your blog again and possibly advertise book/movie, etc.

I may only have a dozen or so readers, but I'm sure they would be interested.

8:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We adopted our daughter from the Guangdong province in 2006 and I discovered your blog soon after we arrived home. I've been a regular reader and enjoy the interesting articles on China - as well as the pondering and sarcasm. Variety is good. Keep it up. This is one of my all time favorite blogs and I'll bet you have many more than a dozen readers!

8:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ray, you're one of the brightest people I know personally. Your writing is crisp, intelligently-written, interesting, and from the heart.

Do NOT stop -- that is, unless you simply don't enjoy it. My point is that you're good. If you need feedback, what you're reading here is a small sliver of the general sentiment.

Sarcasm is good. Keep it up.
Phil

P.S.: I liked your "Santa" post very much -- well put.

2:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home