Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Valentine's dinner

Valentine’s Day dinner was cooked last night by yours truly. In the past, my wife and I have gone to a fancy restaurant for dinner, but this year we decided to stay home and try our hand at duplicating some of our favorite dishes. While my wife handled the dessert (quite well, I might add), the dinner was my job. When we were on our honeymoon in Mexico, we had Steak Diane prepared at our table one night at dinner. We were quite impressed and we’ve each tried to prepare it since that time. Here’s the menu:

Dinner:
Steak Diane
Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Asparagus

Wine:
1998 Nervi Gattinara (Italy)

Dessert (made by Lauren):
Flourless Chocolate Raspberry Cake

The wine was a Nebbiolo (90% of this varietal), which paired perfectly with the steak and the chocolate dessert. The Nebbiolo grape produces big, powerful wines full of tannins that almost beg to be aged. I still have my 2000 Barboursville Nebbiolo and now I’m convinced to hold on a little longer before opening it.

2 Comments:

Blogger M3 said...

Wow, I checked out that recipe for Steak Diane and it sounds fabulous!!! My stomach is growling just reading about it.

7:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I spent the day sniffing and sneezing! You could have had pity and sent some of that feast this way! I did get a bouquet of long stemmed roses from Howie though;>

Are you going to http://members.aol.com/lvwiner y1/events.htm
for their soup & wine thing tomorrow? It does sound like fun.
BTW Your snow pics turned out great.

8:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home