Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Election Day 2007

Yes, it was Election Day here in Virginia. Ally agreed to walk with me to the local high school to vote, but only after I told her she'd get a sticker if she did. I got to explain the democratic process to her and how we should all be informed citizens and vote in every election we can, etc.

In our precinct, we have the optically scanned ballots, where you fill in the appropriate oval with a felt pen.

"Can I do it?"

"No, I don't think that would be a good idea."

"Why not?"

I tried to tell her only one person can vote at a time. Unless you live in Chicago. Anyway, I flipped the card around to fill in the back half of the ballot, the part where it asks if you want the county to issue bonds for this, that or the other project.

"How come you're picking 'no'?", she asked in a voice loud enough to be heard by just about everybody in the room.

"Because, honey, I think they should just pay cash for everything they want, like they're supposed to."

So I voted "no" for all the proposals. Except for the library. I think I said "yes" to that one. Eh, they'll probably all pass anyway.

Our civic duty completed, we collected our "I Voted" stickers and walked back home. Or rather, I walked and she rode on my shoulders as the breeze seemed to drop the temperature a few degrees. It finally feels like fall is here.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good job fighting the tide against continued government spending.

"I finally feels like fall is here." Sounds like you're channeling Popeye there.

10:05 AM  
Blogger Ray said...

I yam what I yam!

10:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home