Thursday, December 01, 2005

Feeling Gravity's Pull

I don’t know how long I can continue using the present tense in saying “I am a runner.” I’m not sure I meet the minimum requirements, whatever they are.

A couple of years ago, I certainly fit the profile, logging an average of 20 miles per week. That’s because I was training for the 2003 Richmond Marathon. Nothing like a 26+ mile sword of Damocles hanging over your head to get you motivated, because if you’re not up to the task, you might end up walking for four hours. So you want to make sure you’re ready and that means grinding out miles, almost 600 in the 18 weeks preceding the race if you follow Hal Higdon’s approach.

In the two years since, I’ve put in a total of about 500 miles, barely enough to get me through one pair of shoes. Pathetic, but not unexpected. I told myself I was going to take a break for 2004 (the adoption year); however the break has stretched through 2005. I have managed to run a few races in the interim: two Army Ten Milers and a Cherry Blossom Ten Miler, all of which were far from personal bests. And the main reason I ran those is because I had friends running with me.

Then came the inevitable weight gain. Before the marathon, I was around 160 lbs. Now the earth is pulling a bit harder, about two stone worth and, to make matters worse, the pants are starting to get a little snug. Going up a waist size is like admitting defeat and I’m not ready to hoist the white flag just yet.

Last January, I set a goal of 1000 miles for the year. Twenty miles a week, with two weeks off even! Surely that would be doable. Well, that lasted all of two weeks. Then it snowed. I’m afraid I’ll have to set a tangible goal (another marathon?) to get me out on the road putting one foot in front of the other. One of the interests I put in my profile was “running”, and I’d like to make that pursuit more than academic.

1 Comments:

Blogger M3 said...

Wow, 1000 miles sounds like a whole lot to a non-runner like me. Very impressive! Ok, I'm cheering you on here from my comfy Herman Miller Aeron chair wearing my slippers and wishing I could run even one mile. Go go go!!!! :-)

12:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home