Friday, June 09, 2006

Day 6: Too Much of a Good Thing

Today was our last beach day, and seeing that the weekly rental rate for our umbrella and chairs was three times the daily rate, I’m satisfied with three trips to the ocean. Any more I would consider a bonus. It feels like I somehow “got my money’s worth”, even though we’re still out fifty bucks. Amazing how we think, huh? If someone reduces the price on a $600,000 home to $580,000, you think you’re getting a good deal. Well, not if that same house is $250,000 somewhere else.

Breakfast this morning was at the Beach Bread Company, a high-falutin’ bistro in Kitty Hawk where we went for a sandwich earlier in the week. They have a limited breakfast menu but what they offered looked good. I ordered the Belgian waffle and, correct me if I’m wrong, but I thought a Belgian waffle was supposed to be as thick as a Manhattan phone book. Instead, I was served a waffle of average thickness so, I’m not sure what made this waffle particularly Belgian, unless the woman who poured the batter hailed from Brussels. But it was still good, as was the overpriced glass of fresh squeezed orange juice. Mmm mmm, you can taste the sunshine.

At the beach, we found our usual spot, i.e., the one we had two days ago. We could tell because the same sand sculpture was still there. Built extra strong, that one. Ally wanted to go walk on it, or at least in the moat surrounding it. We didn’t think that would be such a good idea, fearing a sand slide and a kid buried up to her neck. We let her admire it from afar.

As I said before, Ally is pretty much “day” potty trained. In other words, she will make it known when she has to use the bathroom, but she still wears a diaper at night. This may continue for a while because she refuses to get out of bed unless we’re in the room. In the nine months since she’s been sleeping in the toddler bed, she’s only gotten out once by herself to come into our bedroom. I can’t explain it. Obviously, she’s never slept in our bed at night, since my wife and I aren’t exactly “family bed” people. Anyway, this doesn’t bode well should she feel the urge to go to the bathroom at night.

Anyway, today at the beach, her valve was pretty much in the “open” position the entire time. Fortunately, I noticed a couple of “porta-potties” across the street from the beach, and she doesn’t mind using those, at least not as much as I do. So she was able to go in there, which meant I didn’t have to drive back to our room. These structures are now embedded in her memory and whenever she sees one, she points out the “brown potty”.

Not too much later, she had to go again, so Lauren took her. Then, about thirty minutes after that, another announcement. But this time, she, uh, didn’t quite make it. Lauren took her, crying, into the water to rinse off. She knows she made a mistake and for some reason couldn’t hold this one in. Fortunately, it was a bath night. So the bottom line is: we’re glad she’s going, we just wish the timing was better.

Dinner at Chilli Peppers, a place I was expecting to be more Tex-Mex than it was. I had a great flank steak that was better than the filet I had two nights ago. And, in what may be a huge paradigm shift because I’m not much of a fish eater, I had a bite of my wife’s peanut crusted Mahi Mahi and I liked it. That’s encouraging because I hear how good fish is for you but the fact is I don’t like it that much. This was different, not too strong, delicious even.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does your comment about $580k sounding like a good deal mean that you guys have gotten closer to finding a new house? Heather's parents' house is still on the market, and I'm sure they'd appreciate getting some offers, though I don't know that they'd go as low as $580k. They're interviewing new realtors, and one of the interviewees recommended that they put in about $20k in improvements and drop the price to $599k.

9:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for dropping by, Robert. Hope you're settling in nicely down there.

I think we're staying where we are, at least for the next year or two. After the next adoption, we'll see how things look. Of course, the $300K house in Houston looks a lot better than anything I could get for $600K here.

1:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home